What's new
Onionfarms

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Welcome to Onionfarms - The most inclusive Kiwifarms splinter on the internet | all races | gay or straight | CIS or trans | If you can rock with us, you are one of us

Sensitive Viewer Trigger Warning: Some of the content in the forum may be very upsetting for more sensitive viewers. If you fall into this category, you don't need to explain yourself to us. We understand. We offer a more moderated forum for these viewers who still want to be a part of our community: Onionfarms.online

If you want to register: Do Not Use Gmail. We've had a lot of problems with them. Protonmail is your best alternative.

Kiwifarms Gossip & Yarring Kiwifarms Down a Lot

These threads cover general gossip and interacting with Kiwifarms (openly calling them out).
He broke the site, just look at this:
Telegram_F4ncEpoPU9.png

1) Add a new database node and allow it to replicate
2) The other DBs start sending over 8tb of data
3) The synchronizing DBs have to stay synchronized with each other while getting the new node up to speed AND serving kiwifarms simultaneously
4) DBs crash due to increased load

Why can't Josh simply have a dedicated server. Is KF simply too large?
He claimed the torrent is 6 TB. On MATI yesterday Null mentioned something about downloading/transferring (? can't recall which of the two) 4 TB of data. Don't pin me on this because I only listened to the episode once, I could be misremembering.

In reality, none of this is going to work. A single point of failure for a site that's constantly DDOS'd? Total troon and Josh's hubris victory!

He doesn't say there that he's gonna stop using different VPSes from now on and there's gonna be a single point of failure from now on, he just says that "the topology will be simplified", which could mean a number of things. The comment on MATI about downloading/transferring 4 TB of data to me suggests that perhaps he had the data (likely binaries likes images and film clips, since that's probably taking up so much more space compared to the textual part of KF) spread over different nodes, and he's now trying to move all that 4 TB of binary data to one node. IMO, that would explain why Kiwis were unable to view/download images over the past week.

Why is he saying that it's 8 TB? I distinctly remember him saying on MATI yesterday that it was 4 TB.
Perhaps he underestimated just how much data was going to be transfered to the new node?

Josh needs to take a month to fix things properly instead of trying to get the site back up in a hurry.
That would be the best scenario, but he won't because it's become a pride issue for him to get the site up ASAP, He said he can't sleep when he's thinking about his site being down.

Every time he tries to fix something it ends up breaking something else. Is Xenforo that tricky to maintain on your own?

It's not that XenForo itself that hard, it's just another program that you have to learn to use, and continue to learn to use by using. It's that its standard built-in features are relatively limited compared to what the more experienced web forum operators like Null want to be able to do with their fora. For example, Null insists on having a complex permission system (who's allowed to access which parts of the forum & allowed to do what while there) and for him, XenForo's just is not good enough in that department. So they have to either program additions to XenForo on their own (which is what Null did with the chatroom that got hacked, he programmed that on his own), or they can download other people's programs to expand the basic abilities of XenForo to make it do more. Sometimes these additions work, sometimes not. Sometimes they cause problems with the underlying web server that XenForo runs upon, or with the Operating System that the web server runs upon. I guess that interdependence or interaction between different programs is what causes most of these problems. You can have all these different combinations of XenForo + (some additions) + (some webserver) + (some OS) + (the visitors' browsers/clients & associated systems) which can cause entirely arcane issues based on what particular combination of all these different factors you're encountering on any given day.

Another problem with XenForo is that it is a so-called "closed architecture program", which means the source code isn't open/public for capable people to look into to troubleshoot or make changes/additions to on their own. They have to rely on whatever official patches are made available by XenForo themselves to fix problems. When bug-tracking and fixing is centralized, XenForo might or might not acknowledge an issue that has been reported to them, will agree to work on an issue based on their own sense of urgency/priority, not necessarily what's wanted by the community at large. This makes it harder for individual people to program their own reliable additions to XenForo, especially when it comes to figuring out the way XenForo works under the hood to interact with other programs. Whatever additions people have managed to program, they're essentially based on having "reverse engineered" XenForo to figure out how it works from the outside-in, not on having seen and understood the actual program code, which is proprietary.

You might recall that Null had a license for XenForo, which was later revoked by them. Revoking someone's license for a proprietary computer program can cause all sorts of issues, like no longer having access to reliable patches.

KF is subject to a slow motion DDoS attack today using 10k IP addresses, Null sounds tired:

Technical Grievances
It is important to get the site stable again for the health of the userbase. This has been a really, really rough week and I'm very over it at this point.
Null · Post #6,248 · 4 minutes ago · Forum: Forum Discussion

Null
Feedback Technical Grievances

The main datacenter is being hit too hard to mitigate effectively with what I have. I'm waiting on a new server. For right now I am doing something hilariously stupid that should mostly negatively impact bots.
Null · Post #6,243 · Today at 4:32 PM · Forum: Forum Discussion

Null

It's inaccessible for most people, unless you're on specific global routes or Tor. I'm going to have to double up on the datacenter that's handling most traffic.
Null · Post #6,238 · Today at 3:59 PM · Forum: Forum Discussion

Null

Just being in London does not mean you will be routed to the Amsterdam datacenter.
Null · Post #6,235 · Today at 2:43 PM · Forum: Forum Discussion

Technical Grievances

I have stopped the attack but my ruleset is overzealous and to fix it I have to change KiwiFlare. I'm working on it right now.
Null · Post #6,232 · Today at 12:01 PM · Forum: Forum Discussion

Technical Grievances

okay, that latest round of anti-troon seems to be working pretty effectively.
Null · Post #6,224 · Yesterday at 7:44 PM · Forum: Forum Discussion

OF got mentioned in TG today:

Even viewing KF is nearly impossible with a London VPN. Onion farms is pretty snappy though.

It's not that XenForo itself that hard, it's just another program that you have to learn to use, and continue to learn to use by using. It's that its standard built-in features are relatively limited compared to what the more experienced web forum operators like Null want to be able to do with their fora. For example, Null insists on having a complex permission system (who's allowed to access which parts of the forum & allowed to do what while there) and for him, XenForo's just is not good enough in that department. So they have to either program additions to XenForo on their own (which is what Null did with the chatroom that got hacked, he programmed that on his own), or they can download other people's programs to expand the basic abilities of XenForo to make it do more. Sometimes these additions work, sometimes not. Sometimes they cause problems with the underlying web server that XenForo runs upon, or with the Operating System that the web server runs upon. I guess that interdependence or interaction between different programs is what causes most of these problems. You can have all these different combinations of XenForo + (some additions) + (some webserver) + (some OS) + (the visitors' browsers/clients & associated systems) which can cause entirely arcane issues based on what particular combination of all these different factors you're encountering on any given day.

Another problem with XenForo is that it is a so-called "closed architecture program", which means the source code isn't open/public for capable people to look into to troubleshoot or make changes/additions to on their own. They have to rely on whatever official patches are made available by XenForo themselves to fix problems. When bug-tracking and fixing is centralized, XenForo might or might not acknowledge an issue that has been reported to them, will agree to work on an issue based on their own sense of urgency/priority, not necessarily what's wanted by the community at large. This makes it harder for individual people to program their own reliable additions to XenForo, especially when it comes to figuring out the way XenForo works under the hood to interact with other programs. Whatever additions people have managed to program, they're essentially based on having "reverse engineered" XenForo to figure out how it works from the outside-in, not on having seen and understood the actual program code, which is proprietary.

You might recall that Null had a license for XenForo, which was later revoked by them. Revoking someone's license for a proprietary computer program can cause all sorts of issues, like no longer having access to reliable patches.
basically closed source software sucks nulls a dumb nigger who insists on using a shitty chatroom he made instead of a shoutbox

Guess who's back: my old friend the disappearing text box!

GuessWhosBackNoReplyBox.jpg

I can phone phonepost over clearnet on Android just fine.

However on my tablet, running Windows 10 64 bit with Chrome over clearnet, there is no Reply box. There is a reply button which takes me to another page where all I can do is attach a file and hit reply.

There is no quote button. If I try to rate a post, it goes to another page and gives me only "Like" as an option and asks me "Are you sure you want to apply this reaction?" like I'm a sped who can't be trusted with post ratings.

I tried logging out and logging back in. This is over a Verizon Hotspot via phone, but I *think* it was happening at home when my tablet was on home Spectrum wifi.

I have no mouth and I must sneed!

I am genuinely disappointed at this, because my impression was that Null had finally taken care of this issue since I left. It's been six months since I myself ran into this issue, and JFC it's still popping up! I am also more convinced than ever that this - disabling all input boxes - is something XenForo does in response to Application Level DDos attacks. I wish :optimistic:Null would stop playing deflection bingo with Kiwis dealing with this issue, telling them they need to just "flush the cache" :rolleyes:. As I explained in my longer post about this issue, flushing the cache doesn't do anything for many of us. For me, the only workaround for this issue was to delete Tor itself and re-install it.

I guess KF is getting DDoSed rather aggressively today because I haven't been able to archive almost anything.

In the pages I was able to archive, all of the images are missing. Here's for example a TG page:

This typically happens while KF is getting DDoSed.

Back