What's new
Onionfarms

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Welcome to Onionfarms - The most inclusive Kiwifarms splinter on the internet | all races | gay or straight | CIS or trans | If you can rock with us, you are one of us

Sensitive Viewer Trigger Warning: Some of the content in the forum may be very upsetting for more sensitive viewers. If you fall into this category, you don't need to explain yourself to us. We understand. We offer a more moderated forum for these viewers who still want to be a part of our community: Onionfarms.online

If you want to register: Do Not Use Gmail. We've had a lot of problems with them. Protonmail is your best alternative.

Kiwifarms Gossip & Yarring Kiwifarms Down a Lot

These threads cover general gossip and interacting with Kiwifarms (openly calling them out).
Today at 7:14 AM Highlight #5,821
I'm giving up on the multi-server setup. The databases lock up and resync so frequently under our peak traffic that there's no point, there's no benefit to it.

I've got a plan of action in motion and next week we should be resettled and stable for a while to come.

A few hours later...

Today at 8:09 AM #5,825
I actually cannot give up on the multi-server setup because it crashes. I am at a total loss as to what the fuck is happening.

It really feels like PHP has suddenly broken and it never lets go of its connections with the MySQL server, causing the PHP to quickly kill itself by exceeding its maximum number of processes. Then, it goes down, giving out 502 errors until the process naturally restarts itself.

Null tells tries to insult a newbie Kiwi - who made the mistake of simply asking Null if he could perhaps support other video codecs on his forum - into using ffmpeg:

absolutely fucking not you dense cunt, learn to encode shit so people can actually watch your videos. it is one fucking line in ffmpeg.

Fortunately for this user, tech savvy Kiwi "Kosher Salt" shows up to the rescue in TG once again, and offer the kind of polite and thorough answer that Null himself just cannot ever be bothered to give to a user asking a question in TG:

I've seen Kosher Salt do this before in TG. Even before I left KF, he was right there in TG helping newbies while Null was either ignoring them, playing deflection bingo, telling them to STFU or insulting them. I really wish I could ask him why he keeps doing this, answering newbie Kiwis' technical questions in Null's place. Why are you doing this, and more important, how can you stand doing this while having to watch Null heaping abuse and insults on these newbie Kiwis who aren't tech savvy enough for his liking? Is this some attempt to minimize the damage that Null is doing every time he's insulting newbies and alienating them? Or are you trying to reform Null himself by way of example? Know this, Kosher Salt, Null will NEVER follow your positive example of politely responding to newbies. The whole point of KF is for Null to have a pool of willing masochists to abuse and insult. Including you, though you might not see it that way.

Here we go again! Someone's asking Null if there is a way to turn off the chat:

Is there a way to turn off the chat that's in the header of every page? I don't particularly use it and I get random freezes that might be fixed by reducing the amount of JavaScript running.

Hey there Betonhaus, since Null will inevitably ignore your post, I might as well answer it myself: Kiwis, including myself back when I was still on that forum, have been asking Null to allow them to turn off the chat for ages:

I feel like chat being embedded everywhere is significantly slowing down things. It's a feature I'm never going to use and wish I could turn it off

For some reason it was raping my system (memory and processors use, via some kind of error that slowed down the entire site) so I had to block it. I used noscript (unchecking "frame" in noscript on firefox takes care of it) but some embedded media in posts also gets nuked. I wish there was an option.

Null has repeatedly refused this very simple request giving Kiwis vague answers such as "just block it", which is meaningless (and one more entry for the Null Deflection bingo card I'm working on):

Technical Grievances
blocking it with adblock will not disable the chat. just hide it.
Null · Post #5,901 · Today at 5:06 PM · Forum: Forum Discussion

Apparently there is a workaround for turning off the chat using the uBlock Origin browser extension, but it's too much of a hassle for the average KiwiFarms user, plus Null said a lot of Kiwis are supposedly accessing the site from school or from work where they presumably don't have even the permission to install just any browser extention:

If you use the uBlock Origin extension (available in Chrome & Firefox), these will block the chat:

Once again, Null is only thinking about usability from the perspective of himself and his fellow brocoders who can just add any extension to their private system and are immediately able to use it. He doesn't care at all about the specifics of his average users who aren't going to sit there trying to figure out a new ad-on, assuming they're even allowed to add extensions on a corporate or educational network.

Kiwi Farms been running like shit in the last day just while browsing it. Often the site refusing to load with something like "no server available" as the error. Sometimes get hung up on that "proof of work" page. I don't know how much of the problem is from trannies doing DDOS, how much of the problem is from Josh, but the quality of the way site runs is like garbage. This is the experience of someone just lurking, not even having an account nor trying to post on it.

kwifa.png
If it goes back up on Sunday, chances Kwiffar will make comparisons to the Lamb?

Kiwi Farms been running like shit in the last day just while browsing it. Often the site refusing to load with something like "no server available" as the error. Sometimes get hung up on that "proof of work" page. I don't know how much of the problem is from trannies doing DDOS, how much of the problem is from Josh, but the quality of the way site runs is like garbage. This is the experience of someone just lurking, not even having an account nor trying to post on it.
It's not just the DDoS attacks. One of the reasons I asked Null if he could please allow the users to turn off the chat is because I noticed that as KF was getting more popular it was loading more slowly, so I figured that turning off the chat would be a sensible way to allow the forum itself to load faster for those of us who were using that part of KF and not the chat. I personally never went to KF to socialize, I used the site for research so the chat was completely useless to me; I had a question I'd send someone DM or leave a message on their wall. I don't know why Null is so insistent on forcing the chat onto everyone. It's almost like he wants people to get enticed by the availability of the chat, to go into the chat to get carried away by the conversations there, and then end up telling on themselves, or get into some drama with other Kiwis that Null can later milk for content. I always thought of the KF chat as a liability and when KF got hacked through the chat I almost wasn't surprised.

The problems that Kiwis are running up against are also due to his refusal to work on XenForo, the web forum program that he uses. XenForo revoked his license, so he's essentially using a pirated version of their program. He has refused to work on the program ever since, so any issues that you run up against that are the result of XenForo not working properly, he won't address them at all. Null expects his users to implement an ever increasing number of workarounds to deal with whatever issues might show up with the forum. Null at one point announced he was going to program his own version of XenForo, which he called "Sneedforo", but I guess he never got around to doing it, or it proved to complex for him. At one point he says he was going to hire people to program Sneedforo for him, but then he showed up in the chat complaining that "No one wants to work".

I had an account on his website for over 4 years and I left the site in January of this year because Null threatened to ban me for reporting on an issue that was affecting mine and other Kiwis' accounts, for at least 2 months since I had first reported it. It seems to have been resolved since I left KF (at least, I don't see anyone reporting it anymore in TG), but now there's all these other issues. At the time there were 35+ other Kiwis complaining about the same issue in the Technical Grievances thread, but instead of addressing them, Null literally went into the TG and told the Kiwis to basically STFU "about not being able to post". It was so infuriating to have to watch him neglect his users like that. Some of these users were "True and Honest Fan" accounts, so they were literally paying him to access his forum but even these paying user got this neglectful treatment from him.

It's not just the DDoS attacks. One of the reasons I asked Null if he could please allow the users to turn off the chat is because I noticed that as KF was getting more popular it was loading more slowly, so I figured that turning off the chat would be a sensible way to allow the forum itself to load faster for those of us who were using that part of KF and not the chat. I personally never went to KF to socialize, I used the site for research so the chat was completely useless to me; I had a question I'd send someone DM or leave a message on their wall. I don't know why Null is so insistent on forcing the chat onto everyone. It's almost like he wants people to get enticed by the availability of the chat, to go into the chat to get carried away by the conversations there, and then end up telling on themselves, or get into some drama with other Kiwis that Null can later milk for content. I always thought of the KF chat as a liability and when KF got hacked through the chat I almost wasn't surprised.
There are still a number of issues with the chat.

The problems that Kiwis are running up against are also due to his refusal to work on XenForo, the web forum program that he uses. XenForo revoked his license, so he's essentially using a pirated version of their program. He has refused to work on the program ever since, so any issues that you run up against that are the result of XenForo not working properly, he won't address them at all. Null expects his users to implement an ever increasing number of workarounds to deal with whatever issues might show up with the forum. Null at one point announced he was going to program his own version of XenForo, which he called "Sneedforo", but I guess he never got around to doing it, or it proved to complex for him. At one point he says he was going to hire people to program Sneedforo for him, but then he showed up in the chat complaining that "No one wants to work".

I had an account on his website for over 4 years and I left the site in January of this year because Null threatened to ban me for reporting on an issue that was affecting mine and other Kiwis' accounts, for at least 2 months since I had first reported it. It seems to have been resolved since I left KF (at least, I don't see anyone reporting it anymore in TG), but now there's all these other issues. At the time there were 35+ other Kiwis complaining about the same issue in the Technical Grievances thread, but instead of addressing them, Null literally went into the TG and told the Kiwis to basically STFU "about not being able to post". It was so infuriating to have to watch him neglect his users like that. Some of these users were "True and Honest Fan" accounts, so they were literally paying him to access his forum but even these paying user got this neglectful treatment from him.

If he didn't have gossip and hot takes to attract users then he wouldn't have an active forum at all, which he knows. He can abuse and neglect his userbase with impunity. A sad state of affairs, Jewsh is not cut out to be a janny.

Any guesses as to why?

This is one of null's longstanding gripes with xenforo. Or he claims its a xenforo issue. He feels attachments should default to thumbnails, not full size. It could be extrapolated that he has attempted to address that gripe.

I think Null had written something to the effect that he had decoupled binary uploads (like images or film clips) from the rest of the forum content and was storing those files on a separate server? I can't find this specific post so maybe I am misremembering what he said. I would guess that this problem with full sized images not loading isn't due to XenForo but due to that other dedicated server not serving up the full sized images properly. I am guessing it's the server, because Kiwis affected by this issue also said that they can't upload new attachments so the problem seems to be two-way (uploads and downloads are affected). On the other hand, the fact that some of them claimed the problem was resolved when they changed their VPN proxy location might suggest it's XenForo.

Edit: I think this was the post that I was thinking of:

The big ones that come to mind are:
1) storing posts, profile messages, private messages, and chat messages in the same table so that history and Error 451 compliance [unavailable for legal reasons] can be done correctly,
2) making sure that attachments deduplicate and that viewing attachments can be done through the web server instead of the application, and
3) database clustering is fully supported with deadlock handling and a design that moves database queries that are not blockers for page rendering off the render pipeline.
xenforo does none of these by default. i have very shitty custom changes to make 2b+3 work. 1+2a are a lost cause.

https://archive.is/oTaih#selection-1801.0-1801.293

The tl;dr is kwf has been running on various VPSs(virtual private servers). That fancy AMD EPYC build crowdfunded a couple years ago has been collecting dust. SHAMEFUL DISPLAY! WASTING DONATION MONEY!
Telegram_zis8Jt0EO6.png

In reality, none of this is going to work. A single point of failure for a site that's constantly DDOS'd? Total troon and Josh's hubris victory!

The tl;dr is kwf has been running on various VPSs(virtual private servers). That fancy AMD EPYC build crowdfunded a couple years ago has been collecting dust. SHAMEFUL DISPLAY! WASTING DONATION MONEY!
View attachment 32450

In reality, none of this is going to work. A single point of failure for a site that's constantly DDOS'd? Total troon and Josh's hubris victory!
KiwiFarms died again. lol

Back