Egypt's relations with Ethiopia continue to deteriorate over possible Somaliland - Ethiopia Deal

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
I'm your friendly neighborhood skinwalker
Land-locked Ethiopia is considering giving formal recognition to the breakaway Republic of Somaliland in exchange for being able to access Somaliland's coastline. Egypt's President has expressed his support for Somalia's position that Somaliland has no standing as an independent country and will always be a part of Somalia.
In his strongest statement yet on the issue at a press conference in Cairo alongside the president of Somalia, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Sisi said: “My message to Ethiopia is that trying to seize a piece of land to control it is something no one will agree to.”
In exchange for recognizing the independence of Somaliland, Ethiopia would gain a naval base along the Gulf of Aden. Somaliland wants full recognition as an independent country (nothing less) in exchange for granting Ethiopia access to its coastline. In the face of international pressure Ethiopia has clammed up over the deal.
In his strongest statement yet on the issue at a press conference in Cairo alongside the president of Somalia, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, Sisi said: “My message to Ethiopia is that trying to seize a piece of land to control it is something no one will agree to.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...alia-in-dispute-over-ethiopia-somaliland-deal

Somalia trashes Ethiopia at a meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement